Another Member Of Music Royalty Dies With No Will
Published Friday, August 24, 2018 at: 7:00 AM EDT
Legendary singer, Aretha Franklin succumbed to pancreatic cancer at the age of 76 on August 16, 2018, and she was accorded funeral rites usually reserved for heads of state. But the diva who famously demanded respect, sadly, died without a will.
Her estate is subject to probate, and a long-drawn out public legal proceeding to hear claims by her four children and other relatives — an undignified end for music royalty.
While Ms. Franklin was a genius by most measures and her music legacy lives on, she appears to have had a blind spot when it came to money and, perhaps, mortality. A minister's daughter, the Queen of Soul, was known to demand payment in cash before performing live and keep the cash near her onstage.
Probate proceedings have often resulted in public family fights and big legal fees, and music rights owned by an artist heighten the stakes and greed. The case of Prince, who died in 2016 without a will, has reportedly led to family disputes and revocation of a multimillion-dollar music deal.
Instead of leaving a legacy defined on her own terms, Ms. Franklin's family is subject to a public probate proceeding, which can turn ugly.
If you do not have a will or know you have a blind spot around dealing with money and planning properly, please call and let us try to help you.
This article was written by a veteran financial journalist. While the sources are believed to be reliable, the information is not intended to be used as financial advice without consulting a professional about your personal situation.
- After Breaking Records For Six Weeks, Stocks Dropped -2.3% Friday
- Already Higher Than Ever, Leading Economic Index Surged Again In October
- Five Observations For Investment Planning For The Decades Ahead
- Financial Economic Outlook
- S&P 500 Closed Friday At Record High Again On Strong Earnings Reports
- With Economic Recovery Intact, Stocks Are Near Record Again
- Are The Five Stocks Driving The Market's Great Returns Overvalued?
- Despite Gloomy Jobs Report, The Economic Outlook Remains Bright
- S&P 500 Rebounded Today After A Difficult Week And Month
- China Financial Contagion Fears Come And Go In A Few Days
- August Retail Sales Indicate The Recovery Is Intact
- This Week’s Financial Economic News
- Latest Financial Economic News For Investors
- After Fed Inflation Policy Speech, Stocks Closed At New Record High
- Stocks Closed 1% Off All-Time High; Strong New Economic Data
- Stocks Broke Record High Again This Week
- U.S. Jobs Picture Improved, Covid Variant Risk Declined, And Stocks Closed Week At Record
- This Week’s Economic And Investment News
- Positive Earnings, Housing, and LEI News; Stocks Closed Week At A Record
- Today Versus Post-War History Of U.S Economic Cycles
- Stocks Surged 1.1% Today, Closing At A Record High For The Third Straight Week
- Strong Jobs Report Confirms Recovery
- What's Ahead For The Second Half Of 2021?
- Despite Strong Economic News, Stocks Dropped This Past Week