Retail Sales, Housing Starts, And Stocks Rocket Higher
Published Friday, April 16, 2021 at: 6:47 PM EDT
With the Federal Reserve indicating repeatedly that it will not raise lending rates to quell a spike in inflation -- from the current rate of about 1.6% to its target rate of 2% -- the U.S. economy is rocketing like never before.
March retail sales figures, released yesterday, surged +9.8% higher than in February. It was a huge surprise! Wall Street analysts had been forecasting a +1.3% rise in retail sales. Surges of this magnitude were unprecedented, until the comeback from the Covid pandemic and government stimulus.
For the 12 months through the end of March, total retail sales shot +27.9% higher.
Retail sales comprise 30% of gross domestic product and are a key component of consumer spending.
Meanwhile, this morning, the Census Bureau reported housing starts in March came in at 1,739,000 in March, beating the 1,610,000 expected. This is +19.4% above the revised February estimate of 1,457,000 and +37% above the March 2020 rate of 1,269,000.
March housing construction permits, a forward-looking indicator of housing starts, came in at 1.766 million for March, suggesting the housing boom will continue in April.
The Standard & Poor’s 500 stock index closed Friday at an all time high of 4,185.47. The index gained +0.36% from Thursday’s closing price and +1.36% from last week’s closing price. It was the fourth week of gains in a row. The index is up +60.66% from the March 23rd bear market low.
Stocks are a growth engine in a diversified portfolio managed for the long run but just one asset in a portfolio strategically designed around your personal situation, goals and risk appetite. In expectation of higher estate and income taxes on high-income and high net-worth individuals in 2021, and the stock market repeatedly breaking records, this is a good time to plan for the accelerating pace of economic growth and pending tax-law changes likely to be enacted in the weeks ahead.
Nothing contained herein is to be considered a solicitation, research material, an investment recommendation, or advice of any kind, and it is subject to change without notice. Any investments or strategies referenced herein do not take into account the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific person. Product suitability must be independently determined for each individual investor. Tax advice always depends on your particular personal situation and preferences. You should consult the appropriate financial professional regarding your specific circumstances. The material represents an assessment of financial, economic and tax law at a specific point in time and is not intended to be a forecast of future events or a guarantee of future results. Forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties. Actual results, performance, or achievements may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Information is based on data gathered from what we believe are reliable sources. It is not guaranteed as to accuracy, does not purport to be complete, and is not intended to be used as a primary basis for investment decisions. This article was written by a professional financial journalist for Advisor Products and is not intended as legal or investment advice.
- With Economic Recovery Intact, Stocks Are Near Record Again
- Are The Five Stocks Driving The Market's Great Returns Overvalued?
- Despite Gloomy Jobs Report, The Economic Outlook Remains Bright
- S&P 500 Rebounded Today After A Difficult Week And Month
- China Financial Contagion Fears Come And Go In A Few Days
- August Retail Sales Indicate The Recovery Is Intact
- This Week’s Financial Economic News
- Latest Financial Economic News For Investors
- After Fed Inflation Policy Speech, Stocks Closed At New Record High
- Stocks Closed 1% Off All-Time High; Strong New Economic Data
- Stocks Broke Record High Again This Week
- U.S. Jobs Picture Improved, Covid Variant Risk Declined, And Stocks Closed Week At Record
- This Week’s Economic And Investment News
- Positive Earnings, Housing, and LEI News; Stocks Closed Week At A Record
- Today Versus Post-War History Of U.S Economic Cycles
- Stocks Surged 1.1% Today, Closing At A Record High For The Third Straight Week
- Strong Jobs Report Confirms Recovery
- What's Ahead For The Second Half Of 2021?
- Despite Strong Economic News, Stocks Dropped This Past Week
- Stocks Closed At A Record High; What's Expected For The Rest of 2021?
- Jobs Situation Report Pushes Stocks A Fraction From All Time High
- Inflation Rate Doubled In Past Two Months
- Fed Signals It's Thinking About Starting To Talk About Tightening
- Expect Inflation To Make Investors Nervous Through 2021